Wales welsh boys welsh dating lovers
is one disadvantage in being a pioneer—the just appreciation, which is jour due, comes about one hundred years after your death. 18 history of the Hawkesbury District between the years 17 consists of the discovery, exploration and naming of the river and its tributaries, among them the Mc Donald and the Colo Rivers, by Governor A. We now come to the era of modern times, when, as will be Been in the article on the Municipality, water was laid on to the streets in 1890, and the streets were lit with gas in 1887, streets were attended to, and footpaths kerbed and formed, and better sanitary laws enforced. In 1882, on 22nd February, a great cricket match was played on the Fairfield ground between an All-England Eleven and twenty-two players from the Hawkesbury clubs. In 1891 the Hawkesbury Agricultural College was started, 3,195 acres of Ham Common being taken for the purpose. We find amongst the advertisements in the old papers in 1878 the following names which are still familiar: W. They were registered in October, 1802, and March, 1804, and carried crews of three to six men each. from 1817 to 1835, and he arrived in the colony in the Pitt on 11th April, 1806. Strange to say, it escaped the fire in 1874, when the church and all the surrounding buildings were laid low.
Governor Phillip when he explored the Hawkesbury in 1789 was moved to designate it "so noble a river", and, in the years to come, his successors had reason to endorse this opinion, for the banks of the river were the granary of the infant settlement. Phillip and Captains Collins, Johnston, Watkin, and Tench. A special train was run from Sydney, and one thousand spectators were present. From otter sources we learn that these vessels were built on the Hawkesbury. So rapid was the church's growth that it was decided to build a larger church, the foundation stone being laid on 17th October, 1838, by the Rev. Schofield, and the church, measuring fifty by thirty feet, capable of seating one hundred and fifty people, and costing one thousand and twenty pounds, was opened on 4th December, 1839, during the pastorate of Rev. This hall was built to accommodate the Wesleyan day-school. The church, which measures fifty-two feet by thirty-two feet, and cost two thousand and eighty pounds, was opened on 30th August, 1876, when a collection of four hundred pounds was taken, leaving a debt of six hundred and forty pounds on the building, which had been reduced to one hundred and sixty-four pounds in the year 1882, and has long since been cleared off.
Another address, signed by eight hundred and thirty-three residents, was presented to Governor Bligh, expressive of their confidence in his administration in the year 1808. The old denominational school system came to an end by the erection and opening: of the present Public School in 1870. However, it is known that Governor King gave him forty gallons of spirits as a reward for some service rendered on May 27th, 1806. It is evident that Andrew Thompson did traffic pretty largely in spirits, for he was fined £100 in 1807 for so doing. Again, we find in 1800 a reference to the profits made on the sale of spirits by Andrew Thompson, the Governor's bailiff. vii., page 225.) He acquired a number of properties by purchase, including property in Baker Street and in Bridge Street, Windsor.
Governor Bligh, and his son-in-law, Captain Putland, had farms near Pitt Town, where Bligh's oaks may still be seen. From this it appears that he obtained four hundred gallons of spirits which he retailed at a profit of twelve hundred pounds. His town residence in Sydney was in Macquarie Place. At another meeting to consider local grievances, John Bowman, Matthew Gibbons, and William Cummins were also present. Evans, William Baker, Thomas Arndell, Samuel Solomon and Andrew Thompson.
Another object of these grain depots was to better control the price of grain, as in times of scarcity the local farmers charged most exorbitant prices, and also tried to prevent importation. On the arrival of Governor Macquarie's successor, Sir Thomas Brisbane, he called for a report on the public buildings of the colony. The milk returns sent by Andrew Thompson to him amounted to £60 0s. In the performance of this heroic work his health was seriously undermined. The foundation stone of a brick chapel, thirty-two feet by sixteen feet, was laid by the Rev.
The first era of the history of Green Hills ends here, and the second stage in its history as Windsor begins. Extract from Government and General Order, dated 15th December, 1810, issued on the return of his Excellency Governor Macquarie from an extensive tour of inspection through the various districts where agriculture and the breeding of cattle have occupied the attention of settlers. We have quoted from this report, which was made in 1824, in the articles dealing with the Hospital, St. This is a fitting place to insert some further particulars as to the expenditure and the condition of certain other Windsor buildings:— Extracts from report of the value of the improvements which have taken place in the Public Buildings of Sydney, Parramatta, Windsor, Liverpool, and Campbelltown, from December 25th, 1822, to December 24th, 1823, and an expose of the present state of Public Buildings in New South Wales, by order of his Excellency Sir Thomas Brisbane, made by S. Harris, Architect, in 1824:— "Commissariat Offices, etc.—The office is a shed adjoining the end of the store, about eighty feet long, with two storeys." "The School Room, Old Hospital, Store, and Dr. Andrew Thompson also had a large store-keeping business at the Green Hills (Windsor), which, according to an advertisement in the Sydney Gazette, was taken over by Mr.
By this means valuable revisions and additions have been made. "I have read the articles on the 'Early Days of Windsor', by the Rev. "As a native of Windsor, with a clear recollection of the past seventy-five years, I may say that the author has spared no pains to make his statements accurate and reliable. The earliest Hawkesbury Crown grants included those to Samuel Wilcox, John Brindley, William Bond, John Ruffler, Alexander Wilson, and Whaelen. Thomas Westmore and William Anderson, James Ruse, Ann Blady and Joseph Smallwood, in 1797. These may be easily located on the map of the Parish of St. The grants for the same period made near Pitt Town were:—Messrs. A Government order, dated 8th April, 1804, ordered that all boats trading on the Hawkesbury River should be numbered and registered by Andrew Thompson, head constable, otherwise they would be confiscated.
Errors there may be, but every effort has been made to verify the data. "His work will supply a felt want, in the literature of Windsor, and it should prove very acceptable to all lovers of the Hawkesbury districts. Stogdell, Palmer, Hobbs, Diggers, Jones, Benn, Smallwood, Dr. The present township of Pitt Town stands on portions of these grants, which had to be resumed for township purposes in 1810. A Government store was established in 1798, and placed in charge of William Baker, whose name is perpetuated in Baker Street, Windsor and Baker's Lagoon, near Richmond. In the year 1804 Governor King appointed trustees for the several Commons of the Colony. Everingham (a Matthew James Everingham died on 25th December, 1817, aged forty-eight years, and was buried in St.
The authorities consulted will be found at the end of the book, but I cannot close my studies of Old Windsor without again thanking the many correspondents who have assisted me, and especially Mr. "As years roll on it will certainly become an invaluable work of reference on all matters connected with the district." JOHN TEBBUTT, F. In 1796 Governor Hunter visited the district, and instructions were given to construct a road from Parramatta to the Hawkesbury, and soon after this road was placed under a Trust, Dr. This early store was situated somewhere near the present Thompson Square. Regular masters of all the settlers, both free and bond, were held from time to time, and separate records kept of men, women, and children belonging to each class—military, officers, civil officers, freemen, prisoners and settlers. Andrew Thompson being so appointed for both the Ham and Nelson Commons.
The main streets in Windsor proper were laid out and named. All these and other appointments and improvements were made in the years 1810-12, and from this date Windsor grew in importance and wealth as the chief inland town in the colony. The Evening News, in August and October, 1897, had a series of articles on Margaret Catchpole. This wharf was on the same spot, close to the present bridge, as that still used. Gentlemen, Graziers and the public generally are respectfully informed that the Windsor Fair will be held at the Market Place, Windsor, on Tuesday, 10th June, 1834, being the second Tuesday in the month of June, and that no charge is made by way of fee or toll for stock or articles offered for sale at the said Fair. About 1836, Glebe Street, afterwards known as Tebbutt Street, was surveyed off the Church Green and the allotments facing the Green sold. His death was specially notified to the Secretary of State, by Governor Macquarie, on 27th October, 1810. "In retracing the last twenty years of the life of this exemplary and much lamented character, it will not be held uncharitable to glance at the lapse from rectitude, which in an early and inexperienced period of youth destined him to these shores, since it will stamp a more honourable tribute to his memory to have it recorded, that from his first arrival in this country he uniformly conducted himself with that strict regard to integrity and morality as to obtain and enjoy the countenance and protection of several succeeding Governors. Matthew's church-yard reads as follows:— SACRED Justice of the Peace and Chief Magistrate of the District of the Hawkesbury, a Native of Scotland, who at the age of 17 Years was sent to this Country where from the time of his arrival he distinguished himself by the most persevering industry and diligent attention to the commands of his Superiors.
As late as the year 1858 Windsor was considered the fourth town in the colony. William Walker in that year gave the following list of populations: Parramatta 15,758, Maitland 15,290, Bathurst 12,005, Windsor 8,431, Goulburn 7,028. In the year 1820, a party of explorers left Windsor to examine the Hunter River district. The party returned via the present site of Maitland, and several of the old Windsor residents became pioneers of that northern district. Fifteen hundred pounds was paid for it to Thompson's trustees in 1812. John Howe, Clerk of Market, pro tem." In 1831, the following were the Windsor contractors for the supply of stores, firewood, and cartage for the local Government survey parties:—Jas. The Roman Catholic Church got their grant from this in 1837. In his will he named as executors, John Howe, Simeon Lord (he was the father of the late George W. Active, intelligent, and industrious of manners, mild and conciliatory, with a heart generous and humane, Mr. By these means he raised himself to a state of respectability and affluence which enabled him to indulge the generosity of his nature In assisting his fellow Creatures in distress more particularly in the Calamitous Floods of the river Hawkesbury in the Years 18, and [when] at the immediate risque of his life and perminant injury of his health he exerted himself each time during three successive Days and Nights in saving the lives and Properties of numbers who but for him must have Perished. Thompsons good Conduct, Governor Macquarie appointed him Justice of the Peace. Amongst the leading laymen in the church in the past years, we find:—Mr.